SUMMER BRIDGE PROGRAM
SFSC’s 2013 Summer Bridge Program is accepting applications for its two-week session at the SFSC Highlands and Hardee campuses.
The program runs Monday-Thursday, June 17-27, 9 a.m.-2:15 p.m., and includes a free field trip to the University of South Florida (USF) and Tampa’s Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) on July 26.
Who Can Attend
The Summer Bridge Program is open to students who will enter grades 10-12 in fall 2013, but especially first-generation college students (whose parents do not have a college degree). For other eligibility requirements, consult your high school guidance counselor or call the Summer Bridge Program directors.
The Summer Bridge Program will help you:
- Improve your math, reading, and writing skills
- Prepare to take the ACT
- Learn the value of a college education and how to apply for college
All Summer Bridge Program participants will use these Kaplan courses:
- Kaplan Advantage for the ACT. This course prepares you to take the ACT by reviewing key content, helping you improve your performance, and delivering lessons that bridge the gap between your knowledge of test material and your test performance. A practice test helps you identify your needs and measures your improvement.
- Kaplan Aspire. This course guides you through the college admissions process. You will explore the value of college, learn about the application and financial aid process, and discover how to pursue your educational and career goals.
- Kaplan on Demand. You’ll receive one-year access to this convenient online course, which helps you prepare for the ACT.
These courses are available at specific SFSC campuses only:
- Hardee Campus: Reading and Writing. This course improves basic writing skills by focusing on sentence patterns, paragraph writing, and modes of exposition.
- Highlands Campus: Mathematics. This special session introduces and reinforces fundamentals of algebra, such as simplifying expressions, solving equations, inequalities, and formulas, applying equations to real-world situations, and using the x-y coordinate system to display solutions.
Field Trip to USF and MOSI: July 26
All Summer Bridge Program participants are invited on a field trip to USF and MOSI in Tampa. USF is a global research university that offers 230 degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, specialty, and doctoral levels. MOSI has over 400,000 square feet of permanent interactive exhibits and 450 hands-on science-related activities.
Transportation and admission to MOSI (regularly $21.95 per person) is provided free.
Cost: It's Free
The Summer Bridge Program is free to qualified applicants and includes free lunch each day through the Federal Lunch Program.
How to Apply
Download an application, or request a copy from the SFSC Office of Admissions or from your high school guidance counselor.
Call Magie Hulbert at 863-784-7209 or Dr. Kimberly Batty-Herbert at 863-784-7329.
The Summer Bridge Program does not count toward an associate degree.