The Board approves all full-time employment and grants authority to the president to issue contracts and other employment agreements. The president shall establish procedures for the recommendation of individuals for employment.
Types of employment agreements:
- Annual contracts/appointments
- Formal contracts shall be issued to full-time administrators, including the president, in accordance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules, subject to annual reappointment or contract extension.
- Formal contracts shall be issued to full-time faculty not on continuing contract status and shall not exceed twelve consecutive calendar months, subject to annual reappointment.
- Full-time professional and career staff shall be appointed to a period not to exceed twelve calendar months within a fiscal year, subject to annual reappointment.
- A contract or employment agreement for employees on annual contract/appointment shall not create the expectancy of employment beyond the term of the contract. Non-renewal of a contract shall not entitle the person to the reasons for non-renewal or to a hearing in accordance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules.
- Continuing contracts for full-time faculty
Upon recommendation of the president and based upon successful performance of duties, demonstration of professional competence, and the needs of the college, formal continuing contracts may be granted to employees in full-time faculty positions by the Board and issued in accordance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules. Each employee issued a continuing contract shall be entitled to continue in his or her respective full-time faculty position without the necessity for annual nomination or reappointment until the individual resigns from employment; except for termination of employment; return to annual contract; upon consolidation, reduction, or elimination of a program; or restriction of the required duties of a position.
To be eligible to receive or maintain a continuing contract, full-time faculty shall meet the following minimum requirements:
- Complete at least five (5) years of satisfactory and continuous service as a full-time faculty member. Satisfactory service in other regionally accredited institutions of higher learning may be considered, but at least three years must be at South Florida State College. The entire period shall not exceed seven (7) years at South Florida State College.
- Meet the following criteria:
- Quantifiable measured effectiveness in the performance of faculty duties as documented on annual performance and program reviews
- Continuing professional development;
- Currency and scope of subject matter knowledge.
- Satisfactory feedback from students, colleagues, and employers of former students when appropriate.
- Satisfactory service to the department, college, and community.
- Service in a position expected to be needed long term
- Obtain and maintain educational qualifications and professional certifications required for the position
- Satisfactory student success;
The president shall ensure faculty participation in the establishment of appropriate criteria for measuring student success. Such criteria shall be recommended to the Board of Trustees for their consideration. Any changes to such criteria shall require approval of the Board. Such criteria shall be used in the annual performance review of faculty and in the periodic review of academic and student service programs.
To provide for full-time faculty currently in continuing contract track positions, faculty who have successfully completed three (3) or more years of qualified service at SFSC may be recommended for continuing contract during the 2012-13, 2013-14, and 2014-2015 fiscal years.
The president is authorized to develop administrative procedures related to the granting and maintaining of continuing contracts for full-time faculty.
- Contracts for instructional personnel in grant and special programs
Instructional personnel in grant and special-funded programs may be issued annual contracts relative to the terms of the grant or special-funded program. The Board may establish full-time faculty positions that are not eligible for continuing contracts when funding for such positions is temporary or uncertain. Employees in grant or special-funded programs shall not be guaranteed further employment beyond the duration of the contract or funding source.
D. Administrative leave from continuing contract
Any full-time faculty employee holding a continuing contract who accepts an offer of annual employment in a capacity other than that in which the continuing contract was awarded may be granted an administrative leave of absence for up to one year.
E. Part-time employment
Employees filling regularly established and temporary part-time positions (including adjunct instructor positions) serve at the will of the College and have no continuing employment agreement rights.
F. Appointment schedule
The Board shall consider reappointment of full-time administrative, faculty, professional, and career personnel as follows:
- New hires- next Board meeting
- Annual reappointments for existing full-time employees:
- President-January Board meeting
- President’s Staff- February Board meeting
- Other administrative staff and instructional personnel- March Board meeting
- Professional and career staff- April Board meeting