The District Board authorizes the president to grant leave to its employees and to establish procedures for earning, accumulating, using, and receiving payment for various leaves in accordance with Florida Statutes and State Board of Education (SBE) Rules.
- Sick leave – Granted to employees in full-time positions to cover personal sickness, accident, disability, or extended personal illness, or because of illness or death of a close relative or member of the employee’s household.
The president is also authorized to establish procedures for a sick leave pool allowing full-time employees to pool and draw from accrued sick leave hours in accordance with Florida Statutes and SBE Rules.
- Vacation (annual) leave – Granted to employees in full-time, 12-month positions to cover scheduled time away from work, subject to certain restrictions.
C. Other types of leave
- Administrative leave – Leave granted with the approval of the president when deemed to be in the best interest of the college.
- Consultant leave – Leave granted to provide consulting services to other institutions or agencies.
- Personal leave – Leave granted for personal reasons for up to one year. Four days (32 hours) of personal leave may be charged to the employee’s accumulated sick leave each fiscal year. Personal leave without pay may be granted after all available leave has been used.
- Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) – Leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 shall be granted to all employees in accordance with the law.
- Illness-in-line-of-duty leave (workers compensation) – Leave granted to employees absent due to injury or illness contracted due to performance of duty.
- Court-related leave – Leave granted to cover jury duty or when subpoenaed as a witness.
- Military leave – Leave granted for mandatory military duty.
- Temporary leave – Leave granted for temporary assignment of duty for outside the community college district for the purpose of performing other educational services.
- Professional leave – Leave granted to pursue professional and/or professionally related personal objective.
Temporary and part-time employees do not accrue leave benefits, except as specifically set forth in the established procedure.