Title: Reclassification of Positions
Based on Policy:
5.08 - Reclassification of Positions
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President For Administrative Services/ Human Resources
To establish procedures for reclassifying established positions and to provide guidelines for evaluating positions being considered for reclassification for appropriate placement within the college’s classification and salary structure
- An established position may be considered for reclassification for a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to:
- Significant changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position
- A redistribution of work assignments that significantly alter the duties and responsibilities
- Revisions in class specifications
- Initial consultation with the director, human resources is suggested to ensure appropriate placement of the position to be reclassified within the college’s classification and salary structure and to provide assistance in developing the revised position description.
- The request for reclassification must be submitted on a Position Request form accompanied by a revised position description – following the same procedure required for new positions.
- Upon receipt of the position request and position description, the director, human resources will review the recommended classification level and salary range using the following comparative factors: knowledge required (education and experience), level of judgment required (level of decision-making), and level of responsibility (the nature and level of supervision). These comparisons will be made relative to existing employment classifications.
- The director, human resources will sign and forward the position request to the appropriate executive administrator for further action.
- In the event the director, human resources does not agree with the classification recommendation, he/she will meet with the position supervisor and/or area administrator to discuss concerns. Every effort will be made to resolve any concerns by informal discussion. If concerns cannot be resolved, the director, human resources will prepare a summary of concerns and forward it, along with the position request, to the appropriate executive administrator for further action.
- When reclassification recommendations are approved during the annual budget planning process without benefit of full documentation, the Position Request form will be prepared to document the intended revisions and approval thereof.
- If the reclassified position is currently filled, the incumbent employee will be notified, in writing, by the director, human resources. The notice will include any salary adjustments, the revised position description for signature by the employee, and other pertinent information (such as return to probationary status), as applicable.
History: Last Revised: 9/13/05
Revised: 12/4/01, 9/13/05