Title: Consultant Employment
Based on Policy:
5.20 - Professional Services
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Administrative Services
To establish a procedure for the hiring of all consultants
- Any South Florida State College (SFSC) employee desiring to retain a consultant will complete the Professional/Consulting Services Agreement form and obtain appropriate approvals. The Professional/Consulting Services Agreement form can be located on the purchasing page of the college Web site under “Doing Business with SFSC”.
- Employees that perform services for the college may not be eligible to be hired as consultants if they can be viewed to be performing essentially the same service as both an employee and an independent contractor. Any employee being considered for employment as a consultant needs the approval of the controller or designee prior to the execution of any Professional/Consulting Services Agreement.
- The Professional/Consulting Services Agreement and W-9/W-8 are to be prepared and executed in advance of the event. Both should be forwarded to the Purchasing Department so that a purchase order may be issued except as noted in D.
- Consultants who perform work for one day or less and receive payment for services (not including reimbursements) of $100 or less may be paid on a request for funds form. The pre-negotiated consultant form and a signed IRS W-9 or W-8 form must be attached as support. A dean or director may approve this type of consultant expenditure provided that budget is available for payment.
- Vice presidents have the authority with a properly completed Professional/Consulting Services Agreement form, an IRS tax form, and sufficient budgeted funds to approve the hiring of consultants plus regular travel and per diem allowance.
- The originator of the Professional/Consulting Services Agreement form will be responsible for forwarding to the Business Office a properly approved itemized invoice that has been submitted by the consultant when the consultant has satisfactorily completed the specifications of the agreement.
History: Last Revised: 4/28/09
Revised: 2/6/02, 6/1/05, 4/28/09