Title: Responsibilities of Faculty, Career and Administrative Personnel with Regard to Safety and Security
Based on Policy:
5.21 - Responsibilities of Faculty, Professional, Career, and Administrative Staff
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President For Administrative Services
To establish and specify the role and responsibility of college employees in maintaining a high degree of safety, health, and security for the college community
- Full-time faculty at South Florida State College are professionals whose duties and responsibilities are established in accordance with State Board of Education rules and District Board of Trustees policies. These duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, teaching assigned classes; assisting, evaluating, and advising students; supervising learning activities; planning for classes; and keeping current with discipline content and methodology within the area of responsibilities. Instructional personnel are expected to assist in the development and implementation of the instructional goals of the college. In fulfilling these responsibilities a faculty member will:
- Teach classes in accordance with the approved college catalog course descriptions
- Maintain regular scheduled office hours
- Assist and advise students
- Provide information for student records and complete other reports involving the program area
- All college employees, regardless of level or classification, are obligated to remedy and correct existing hazards, abnormal conditions, or provide immediate assistance in eliminating risks or potentially harmful situations which might threaten individuals of the college community.
- When hazards or potentially harmful conditions are beyond the ability of an individual employee to resolve, the immediate supervisor shall be notified. The immediate supervisor shall attempt to get the problem resolved, either within available resources or by notifying the area administrator.
- Individual college employees, whether full-time or part-time (includes adjunct), shall assume an obligation to secure and reasonably protect college property.
- Any college employee, regardless of status, who is determined negligent or fails to reasonably consider the safety, health or security of the college, its students, employees, visitors, and guests, shall be subject to appropriate disciplinary action which could include suspension and termination.
History: Last Revised: 7/10/12
Revised: 1/21/02, 6/1/05, 7/10/12