Title: Demotion of Career Employees
Based on Policy:
5.24 - College Employees: Employment, Promotion, Transfer, Demotion, Suspension, and Dismissal
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Administrative Services/Human Resources
To set forth general guidelines for the demotion of career employees
- In the event that a career employee is moved from his/her present position to one assigned a lower classification, then his salary will be reduced accordingly.
- For each level that the employee is reduced, he/she will have his/her salary reduced by a minimum of three steps on the career employee salary schedule. If extenuating circumstances, the president may waive this reduction.
- In the event of an unsuccessful promotion (as determined by either the college of the employee), the employee's salary will be reduced to the level/step prior to the promotion plus any appropriate salary schedule adjustments or applicable across-the-board increases.
- In no case will the salary adjustment reduce the employee’s salary below the minimum of the respective level to which he/she is assigned.
- Demotion may occur in one of two ways:
- The employee is assigned to a different position or to reduced responsibilities in the same position to assist the college in meeting its staffing needs. This is a non-punitive action.
- The employee is assigned to a different position or to reduced responsibilities in the same position as a result of the employee’s unsatisfactory level of performance in meeting expectations. This action will be based upon evaluation of performance and the employee may exercise all rights of appeal.
History: Last Reviewed: 1/31/08
Reviewed: 1/31/05, 1/31/08