Title: Contracting Architectural, Engineering, and other Professional Services
Based on Policy:
7.01 - Facilities Planning and Construction
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Administrative Services
To provide procedures for contracting professional services in compliance with the Consultants’ Competitive Negotiation Act, F.S. 287.055
When contracting the professional services of architects, engineers, or surveyors when compensation for planning or study activity services exceed $25,000, or when estimated construction costs exceed $250,000, the following procedures will be adhered to:
- Public announcement of the project
- The vice president for administrative services (VPAS) or designee will set forth, in appropriate media, a general description of the work to be done, services to be rendered, and how interested consultants may apply.
- The VPAS or designee will send written notification to all firms requesting notification.
- The VPAS or designee will send written notification to all district-based and regional professionals from whom the college has received excellent services or for which quality references have been received.
- Certification of firms as qualified to perform
- The VPAS and designees will serve as a review team to study the qualification data for each firm seeking qualification.
- After a complete study of all applications, the review team will certify firms as qualified or will deny certification. There is no limit to the number of firms that can be certified.
- Selection of certified qualified firms
- The review team will screen the list of certified qualified firms.
- The review team will evaluate any discussions or presentations which may be conducted by interested certified qualified firms. No less than three firms shall be interviewed.
- The review team will select three or more certified qualified firms and establish an order of preference (rank) based on the team’s objective evaluation of each firm’s qualifications. The establishment of preference is essential to the negotiation of professional service contracts.
- The review team’s recommendations will be submitted to the president and the South Florida State College District Board of Trustees for review and approval.
- Negotiation of professional service contracts
- After the interviewed firms have been ranked, the VPAS will commence definite contract negotiations with the preferred certified qualified firm (ranked number one) determined by Step C.3. In contract negotiations the two parties will:
- Establish detailed and full scope of services to be supplied.
- Determine and negotiate fair, competitive, and reasonable compensation. Any method may be used to determine compensation such as lump sum, percentage of construction cost, or total cost plus fixed fee.
- Require professional liability insurance based on the projected cost of work for the construction project. Consideration for the type of work being performed should be considered when establishing coverage. A certificate of insurance evidencing the coverage limits should be obtained, and the certificate should provide for 60 days notice of cancellation or non-renewal. Suggested coverage is as follows:
- $1,000,000 limit for contracts of $1,000,000 to $5,000,000
- $5,000,000 limit for contracts of $5,000,000 to $50,000,000
- $10,000,000 limit for contract of $50,000,000 or more
- If no agreement is reached, negotiations with the number one ranked firm must be terminated before negotiations can commence with the number two ranked firm.
- After negotiations are terminated with the number one ranked firm, the VPAS will commence negotiations with the second most qualified firm repeating as outlined above.
- If negotiations are unsuccessful, the VPAS will begin negotiations with the next highly ranked firm in accordance with the prescribed procedures until a satisfactory contract is developed and approved.
History: Last Revised: 2/17/09
Reviewed: 2/28/05, 2/28/08
Revised: 7/15/97, 2/6/02, 2/17/09