Title: Fire Exit Regulations
Based on Policy:
7.03 - Safety and Traffic Control
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Administrative Services/Physical Plant Operations and Maintenance
To instruct college personnel about fire evacuation procedures affecting each room and fire evacuation zone of the building
- The fire alarm will be a series of intermittent horn type signals that could only be interpreted as an alarm signal.
- When the alarm sounds, the following steps should be taken:
- Instructors, administrators, and department chairmen/program managers with assigned responsibilities of fire evacuation are to see that all personnel within assigned classrooms or fire evacuation zones evacuate the building immediately by the pre-determined evacuation routes.
- After all personnel are safely out of rooms - then doors are to be closed. (The last person leaving can do this. Lights are to be left burning).
- Move 75 to 100 feet away from the building and stand by for the “all clear.” All personnel should stay away from firefighting equipment and hydrants.
- Fire doors within hallways will automatically close when the alarm sounds. Only under extreme emergency circumstances should these doors be used during a fire emergency or drill (prescribed evacuation routes circumvent all fire doors).
- After a drill or emergency, the alarm will cease for a period of at least two minutes.
History: Last Reviewed: 10/29/07
Reviewed: 10/29/04, 10/29/07