Title: Use of College Vans
Based on Policy:
2.07 - Property
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Educational and Student Services/Athletic Department
To establish rules for the use of college-owned vans that are coordinated by the Athletic Department
- All drivers must be approved by the Human Resources Department to drive a college vehicle in accordance with college Procedure 7030, Use of College Vehicles.
- All parties wanting to reserve a college van are to contact the Athletic Department at least seven (7) days in advance of van use in order to provide the opportunity to coordinate with other groups to ensure all programs are covered.
- College vans will only be checked out to authorized faculty or staff, or in rare cases, other approved drivers. Students under age 21 may drive a van if they are doing so as a function of their employment by the college but may not carry passengers.
- When vans are used by departments other than the Athletic Department, the user department will be responsible for the mileage cost incurred during the travel.
- When a van is checked out, the key to the van will be issued to the user. A college gas card and mileage clipboard will be located in each van and should remain in each van following all trips. The van key and mileage record must be returned to the Athletic Department Office at the earliest time possible following the use of the van.
- For the convenience and courtesy of all parties, the van must be returned at least half full of fuel following each assigned trip.
- In the event that a department has reserved a college van and no longer needs the van, notify the Athletic Department as soon as possible, either by phone or e-mail, to cancel the use of the van so that the van might be made available to other parties.
- Users will
- Conduct a thorough safety check of the van before and after each trip to ensure that the van is properly maintained. Particular emphasis will be placed on tires, brakes, wipers, fluid levels, and lights and signals. Any concerns shall be reported, in writing, to the Athletic Department immediately for resolution
- Keep the vans as clean and tidy as possible and remove all personal items and trash upon completion of the travel.
History: Last Revised: 4/03/12
Revised: 10/13/09, 4/03/12