To evaluate accelerated/experiential learning credit of students in degree or certificate-seeking programs
The procedure in place at South Florida State College (SFSC) provides for a review of the accelerated/experiential learning credit at the departmental level with a recommendation to be made to the registrar with an appeal option to the dean, division of arts and sciences or dean, division of applied sciences and technologies. The student will be notified by mail of the decision reached for accelerated/experiential credit in accordance with the college guidelines. The credit awarded will appear on the SFSC transcript as external credit in accordance with the college guidelines.
All students seeking credit based on accelerated/experiential learning must adhere to the following procedure:
- Only degree and certificate-seeking students who are currently enrolled and who have earned 15 college credits or equivalent at SFSC are eligible to receive accelerated/experiential learning credit based on prior experience, such as jobs held, workshops, volunteer work or a number of other types of experiences.
- A written request from the student identifying the courses that are to be reviewed and the reason for credit consideration is required. An accelerated learning course fee for each course may be required prior to evaluation.
- The student must submit the request and documentation or materials for the determination of credits to the Registrar’s Office.
- The Registrar’s Office reviews the documents to ensure all the necessary material is contained therein. If the documents are complete, they are submitted to the appropriate department chair/program manager. The chair/manager returns the evaluation to the Registrar’s Office within 10 working days. If the documents are incomplete, the student is notified, accordingly.
- It is the responsibility of each department chair/program manager to coordinate the evaluation of accelerated/experiential learning credits within their respective departments. It is recommended that each dean develop minimum criteria to ensure consistency in the evaluation of credits among departments. All recommendations as to the awarding or denial of credits must be approved in writing by the dean or designee.
- Upon the department’s submitting its recommendation, the Registrar’s Office reviews the recommendation. If a question arises due to the department’s recommendation, the issue is forwarded to the instructional supervisor or academic dean for clarification.
- If credit is granted, it is posted to the student’s transcript as external credit in accordance with the college guidelines. All credits are awarded a grade of S (Satisfactory).
- A student who has been denied credits may take the course(s) at SFSC or may take either a CLEP examination or a comprehensive department examination for each subject area in which he/she was denied.