Title: Grievance Procedure: Discrimination
Based on Policy:
1.09 - Grievance Procedures
Office of Primary Responsibility: Vice President for Administrative Services/Equity
It is the firm policy of the college to provide equal access to and equal opportunity within all programs and activities of the college without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, or genetic information.
- The college recognizes that individual interpretations of its efforts in this regard may vary. In the event a person feels that he/she has received discriminatory treatment because of one or more of the above factors, the college provides a process through which individuals may appeal the application of college rules and regulations. Individuals may appeal any of the following:
- A finding of a violation of policies and/or procedures of the college
- Arbitrary or capricious actions by a college employee that adversely impact an applicant, student, or employee
- Removal from the college or a program of the college
- Denial of admission or readmission to the college or a program of the college
(The basis upon which a grade was awarded may not be challenged under this procedure.)
- An individual who perceives that he/she has received discriminatory treatment should contact the designated Equal Access/Equal Opportunity (EA/EO) coordinator. SFSC provides an EA/EO coordinator for both student and employee issues. Current contact information, including names or titles, phone numbers, and addresses for these coordinators is posted in public places, including but not limited to, facilities, websites, course catalogs, student and employee handbooks, code of conduct, etc.
The EA/EO coordinator does not represent this individual, but assists him/her in defining the specifics and arranging meetings with campus officials. The EA/EO coordinator monitors the process of the case to its end.
- Individual discusses situation with EA/EO coordinator to define the issue(s).
- EA/EO coordinator arranges a meeting between the individual and the college employee(s) in question to discuss the issue(s).
- If the matter is not resolved, the EA/EO coordinator will arrange a meeting of the individual, the college employee(s), and the immediate supervisor(s) of the employee(s).
- If no resolution at the level above, the EA/EO coordinator will arrange a hearing for the individual before the internal EA/EO committee. Both the individual and the college employee(s) will give testimony. The EA/EO coordinator serves as reporter for the hearings and will have a record of the proceeding prepared.
Steps 5 and 6 below apply to student grievances only.
- If the issue is not resolved at this level, the EA/EO coordinator will forward a copy of the record of the internal committee to the president.
- The decision of the president will be final.
For cases in which the individual is a college employee: if the matter has not been resolved at the completion of Step 3 above, the steps in South Florida State College Administrative Procedures 1090 or 1091 will be followed until resolution is complete.
History: Last Revised: 4/23/13
Reviewed: 2/28/05, 2/28/08, 6/27/12
Revised: 2/6/02; 4/23/13