Apply for Financial Aid Assistance
To apply for financial aid, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information you provide determines whether you qualify for federal and state grants and federal loans based on financial need.
To qualify for financial aid, you must be a degree-seeking student. You must submit all academic transcripts from prior schools attended and allow time for evaluation.
We strongly encourage students to file their FAFSA application as early as possible.
7 Easy Steps to the FAFSA - Video Tutorial
Easy as 1, 2, 3
- Gather the documents you'll need. In certain circumstances, the FAFSA allows a student and/or parent to use information directly from the IRS to complete the financial portion. SFSC highly recommends this option, if available, as it can speed up the application process.
- Use the FAFSA on the Web worksheet to help you complete the FAFSA.
- Request a federal PIN. Your PIN is your electronic signature and is used each year to access all of your federal financial aid records. Parents of dependent students must apply for their own PIN.
- Complete a FAFSA as soon as possible after Jan. 1 each year, regardless of the date you begin college.
- Applications submitted on or before April 15 are given priority consideration for many types of aid.
- If you cannot complete a FAFSA online, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800-433-3243 to request a paper copy.
- To help eliminate delays, file your tax return early and use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to import income information.
- Make sure you choose SFSC's school code: 001522.
- Approximately 1-2 weeks after you complete the FAFSA, you will receive an email informing you to check your processing status on the FAFSA website. If you did not provide an email address, the FAFSA processor will mail you a Student Aid Report (SAR). Carefully review your status and follow the instructions if you need to make any corrections. Our office will receive your information as long as SFSC school code 001522 is listed in the School Selection section.
- Students who are eligible to receive financial aid assistance based on their FAFSA will receive an email via their student D2L account informing them to check the status of their financial aid application in Panther Central.
- We encourage you to use “My Financial Aid Checklist” to assist you in your financial aid experience at SFSC.
- If you have been selected for the process called verification, please review the letter you received via your D2L email account to obtain applicable forms to complete this process from the Financial Aid website.