Student Support Services
Who are we?
Student Support Services/TRiO is a federally funded program. TRiO programs were initiated by the Higher Education Act of 1965. The original branches of TRiO were Upward Bound, Talent Search, and Student Support Services (SSS). The term TRiO was established to represent these three programs.
SSS helps eligible students remain in college, graduate, and transfer to a four-year institution for further education, if interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree. Students must meet at least one of the eligibility criteria to receive services. All services are provided free of charge to TRiO SSS participants and include
- academic tutoring;
- advice and assistance in postsecondary course selection;
- information on student financial aid programs and scholarships;
- assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid;
- education services designed to improve the financial literacy;
- activities to assist students enrolled in two-year institutions of higher education in applying for admission to and obtaining financial assistance for enrollment in a four-year program of postsecondary education;
- individualized advising for personal, career, and academic matters; and,
- information, activities, and instruction designed to acquaint students with the range of career options available to students.